Thursday, December 6, 2012

Bowl 30: Heather


I've stopped in for a cup of coffee.
It's late morning on a Thursday and the ice cream shop is virtually empty.
Only a couple of women and a child in a stroller talking softly.

There's something special about the young woman behind the counter.
Maybe in the way she asks me what I want, 
easily, with care, not at all rushed or harried.
Or maybe in how she notices me eyeing the baked goods case
and asks if I want a pastry with my coffee,
then smiles when I say I'm trying not to get one,
but then opt for a cinnamon roll
telling myself I will eat it later and savor each small bite.

Such a simple transaction,
so satisfying in its simplicity.
A cup of coffee -- organic and fair trade --
an exchange of good will and smiles,
the warmth of the coffee, and the lingering taste of cinnamon.


No comments:

Post a Comment