Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Bowl 28: Alex



Sometimes it's smooth sailing!

In New York for Thanksgiving weekend,
I need to go from Yorktown to Levittown
then into the city
I anticipate gridlock. . . and find none . . . 
then, driving 'cross 21st street a free, on-street, parking spot emerges. . . 
the gods must be with me!

I grab my bag with bowl and camera
with little hope of an encounter on a chilly day in chilly NYC
but turning the corner, outside a cafe,
a man sits singing to his toddler,
"cold, cold, cold it's cold," he chants . . . 
and she giggles.

We chat for a while, then his wife emerges from the cafe,
a tiny infant snuggled against her chest . . . 
I do a quick calculation.
"She must have been born right around the time of the storm," I surmise . . . 
A week before, they say . . . it was pretty tough living without power for a week with a newborn.
But they are smiling . . . like everyone I've talked to who weathered the storm . . .

This human life . . . so fragile, so resilient, so unpredictable. 
Sometimes we weather the storms,
and sometimes it's smooth sailing.
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment