Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Bowl 23: Jose




He is looking at a bamboo sculpture when I approach.
What do you think, I ask.
It reminds me of a tree house, he replies . . . like those we used to build
when I was a boy in Puerto Rico . . .
we'd start them and then leave them partly finished.
Then move on and start another somewhere else.

Then he points to another sculpture . . .
and says how much he likes it . . .
 and tells me that it reminds him of nests that the tortolitos make . . .
he tells me that they're little birds that live on the island
and that hundreds of them live in a single nest.

Art is whatever you see in it, he tells me.


As an artist I sometimes think people will see what I want them to see.
But really, I think he's right.
And I love that he sees what he sees.
And that you see what you see,
no matter what I see
or what I think I've put out there.
It makes it all so much richer,
the coming together of different lives 
and different points of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment